Thursday 11 September 2014

C Vu Articles - Season One

This is the final of my “article summary” blog posts and covers my earliest articles published in ACCU’s sister journal C Vu. Where I have pushed my more technical articles towards Overload I have submitted the more touchy-feely pieces to C Vu. Unlike Overload the C Vu journal is only available to members of the ACCU. Once again my openness should not be considered an excuse for ducking out of becoming a member when it’s only £45.

1: Desert Island Books

C Vu ran a series titled “Desert Island Books” that was intended to adapt the classic Desert Island Discs radio show for programmers. Instead of bringing music (although we were encouraged to choose two pieces of music and a factional book too to aid characterisation) we were to take programming related books instead. Hence this article contains a description of some of my favourite software books.

2: Reacquainting Myself With Sed And Awk

After far too long relying on GUI tools I found myself needing to get back in touch with the command line to do some heavy text file processing. I remembered how useful SED and AWK were back in my early days and so I bought a book to help me find my feet again.

3: The Downs and Ups of Being an ACCU Member

Like all naive programmers I thought I knew where the line between “junior programmer” and “senior programmer” lay. Then I joined ACCU and discovered that the programming bar went so much higher...

4: Passionate About Programming or Passionate About Life?

Whilst programming is a very enjoyable career, and hobby too, it’s also important to look around us every now and then to make sure life does not pass us by.

5: (Re)Reading the Classics

I seem to spend far more time these days buying old programming books, really old programming books, instead of books on all the latest cool technology. As I try and make sense of what it is I’m (supposed to be) doing the more I realise it has all been said before, probably 30, 40 or even 50 years ago.

6: Developer Freedom

Working as a programmer in The Enterprise means running up against a barrage of red tape. In this article I tried to make sense of why large companies seem to make it so hard for us to do our jobs; sometimes it almost feels as if they want us to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment